What is the Taiwan Employment Gold Card?
Launched in 2018, the Taiwan Employment Gold Card is a 4-in-1 card, that includes a resident visa, work permit, Alien Resident Certificate (ARC), and re-entry permit, which allows you to leave and re-enter Taiwan multiple times over the course of 1-3 years. Applicants can apply online without sponsorship.
- Work Permit: Allows cardholders to seek employment freely, obtain employment at any time, work any part-time job legally, and freely change jobs.
- Resident Visa: Long-term visa which allows cardholders to stay in Taiwan for more than 180 days.
- Alien Resident Certificate: A physical ID card proving that you can live in Taiwan legally.
- Re-entry Permit: Allows unlimited entry and exit from Taiwan (even during COVID-19).
Qualification is based on an assessment of your professional skills. You don’t need to have already secured a job in Taiwan. The Gold Card costs anywhere between USD 100 and USD 310 depending on your nationality and the duration of the card.
A perfect application takes 30-days, however, if additional supporting documents are requested, expect a time frame of 50-60 days.
Industries that are eligible to apply for the Taiwan Employment Gold Card:
Please select which single ministry is most relevant, and in most cases also select a specific entry on the list of qualifications in that particular industry for your application.
- Science & Technology (Ministry of Science and Technology)
- Economy (Ministry of Economic Affairs)
- Education (Ministry of Education)
- Culture & Arts (Ministry of Culture)
- Sport (Ministry of Education)
- Finance (Financial Supervisory Commission)
- Law (Ministry of Justice)
- Architecture (The Construction and Planning Agency, Ministry of the Interior)
- National Defense (Ministry of National Defense)
- Special cases that, with consultation, are recognized by the NDC
- This card is an open-end work permit issued to employment-seeking individuals that require neither pre-confirmed hiring by or application through any employer.
- For Gold Card holders there are tax benefits in terms of income tax deduction and exemption. If you have come to Taiwan for the first time during the five years prior to your employment engaged in professional work or your obtaining the Employment Gold Card, and you have met the following conditions, then you will be eligible for the tax benefits: You have for the first time been approved to reside in the R.O.C for the purpose of work; You have engaged in professional work related to the recognized special expertise in the R.O.C.; You have applied to the National Immigration Agency, Ministry of the Interior for an Employment Gold Card in accordance with Article 8 of the Act, and during the five years prior to your obtaining the Employment Gold Card, you did not have household registration in the R.O.C. and were not an individual residing in the R.O.C. in accordance with the Income Tax Act.
- Lineal relatives can apply for visitor visas with a maximum stay of up to one year.
- Spouses and children can apply for residency in Taiwan as well.
- Employment Gold Card holders who are employed to engage in professional work in Taiwan, or who are employers or self-employed business owners in Taiwan, and their dependent relatives, can directly join the National Health Insurance system without having to wait six months for inclusion.