Can my spouse and children also apply for permanent residency? What are the qualifications?

The spouse and children of Gold Card holders may apply for permanent residency as long as they meet ONE of the following requirements (choose the requirement that is most beneficial to you):

  1. After a Gold Card holder has been a permanent resident for at least 3 years, if their spouse, underage children (or adult children with mental/physical disabilities who are unable to care for themselves) then stay for at least an additional least 3 consecutive years (for an average of 183 days or more per year) they may apply for permanent residence. They will be exempt from the financial proof requirements.
  2. The spouse and children of Gold Card holders may apply for permanent residency if they have legally resided in Taiwan for at least 5 consecutive years and for more than 183 days per year, and have also met the requirements of Article 25 of the Immigration Act.


  1. For Gold Card holders who have obtained a Doctorate Degree from a Taiwanese institution, the residency requirement is shortened from 3 years to 2 years. However, this does not impact the residency requirements for the Gold Card holder’s spouse or children, who may only apply for permanent residency after living in Taiwan for 3 years.
  2. Gold Card holders cannot apply for the APRC with their dependents simultaneously. For permanent residence related regulations, please follow the regulations of the National Immigration Agency (NIA). If you have any APRC questions, please contact the NIA .

Application for Permanent Residence Information: