How do I use the Quarantine System for Entry?
Q1. What is the Quarantine System for Entry?
A1. In response to the 2019 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19), Taiwan has established the Electronic Visitor Health Declaration and Home Quarantine System (abbreviated as the Entry Quarantine System). If you enter Taiwan from abroad, please use your smartphone to fill out the online health declaration form, your health status, and travel history within 48 hours before your flight arrives in Taiwan. This Entry Quarantine System can help speed up your customs clearance when entering the country.
Q2. Who can use the Entry Quarantine System?
A2. Regardless of nationality and age (including minors under 18), as long as you have a smartphone with Internet access you can use the system.
Q3. How do I get to the Entry Quarantine System?
A3. To get to the Entry Quarantine System, scan the QR Code directly with your smartphone or click on the HERE to visit the system.
When you are abroad, you can use the wireless network provided by the airport or the international roaming function of your mobile phone plan to enter the system and fill out the online health declaration form. If you are already at an airport in Taiwan, it is recommended that you use 4G to complete the health declaration to speed up the process. If you do not have 4G, you can also use the wireless network at the airport.
Q4. How do I complete the online declaration?
Step 1: Scan the QR-Code with your smartphone or click HERE .
Step 2: Enter information into each field in order to complete the online declaration.
Step 3: After arriving in Taiwan, turn on your phone and an electronic health declaration receipt will be sent to your phone via SMS.
Step 4: Go to the place where you should provide your quarantine notice, and show your health declaration receipt on your mobile phone for verification by the on-site personnel.
Q5. If my smartphone does not have Internet access, can I still use the Entry Quarantine System?
A5. Yes. As long as your phone number can send and receive SMS, you can use the free Wi-Fi provided by the airport, connect to the Entry Quarantine System, and complete the online declaration. Upon completion, the system will send a SMS to your mobile phone.
Q6. Can individuals share mobile phones?
A6. For the purpose of community e-tracking care, inbound passengers are required to have a phone number of a telecom service provider in Taiwan (a SIM card can be purchased at the airport in Taiwan) and to use their personal mobile phone (1 person, 1 phone) to make the health declaration. However, special circumstances such as if the passenger is under 12 years old or if the passengers will undergo home quarantine in the same location, they can complete the health declaration through a shared mobile phone.
Q7. I have been living abroad for a long time and my Taiwan SIM card is not working or has been deactivated, what should I do?
A7. You can apply for a new SIM card to a telecom service provider on site (near the place where you submit your quarantine notice) or apply to reactivate your SIM card.
Q8. Why can’t I receive the SMS? How do I solve this problem?
A8. If you have correctly completed the declaration form on the Entry Quarantine System, you will not receive a SMS until you arrive in Taiwan. If you have arrived in Taiwan and still have not received a SMS, please follow the steps below to troubleshoot the problem:
- Confirm that all your personal information is accurate
- Make sure that the passport number or travel document number listed on the Entry Quarantine System is consistent with the document number used when purchasing the flight ticket.
- Before submitting the form, double-check that the mobile phone number entered into the Entry Quarantine System is correct.
- If you are not an R.O.C. (Taiwan) Citizen, please click the “No Passport Click Here” button for your ID card/resident certificate ID card No./ARC No. This will automatically fill in your passport number.
- SMS sending and receiving settings on your mobile phone
- Please make sure that your phone can make/receive calls and send/receive SMS. If your phone is set to Airplane Mode during the flight, please turn off Airplane Mode and restart your phone to send and receive SMS again.
- Please check if your phone’s brand/model has a SMS filtering function, such as the Huawei phone (Call Settings → Menu →Harassment Filter) or Xiaomi phone (Security Center → Harassment Filter → Settings).
- Please ask the airport quarantine personnel to use the troubleshoot function. After confirming your passport number, name, and other information, a SMS will be sent to you.
Q9. If I assist my family members with filling out the declaration form on a computer before boarding, will I receive a text message?
A9. Passengers must use their smartphone to fill out the online declaration within 48 hours before the plane arrives in Taiwan, only then will they receive the SMS when arriving in Taiwan. If you do not receive the SMS when you arrive, please contact the airport quarantine personnel for assistance.
Q10. If I have an international roaming mobile phone number, why do I need to apply for a domestic number when entering Taiwan?
- If your mobile phone has international roaming, you will receive SMS, but the roaming number cannot effectively be used to carry out personal health care and tracking after you enter the country. Therefore, inbound passengers must apply for a Taiwan mobile phone number to facilitate management and support care services provided by the civil affairs bureau and local borough chief.
- Individuals must use a Taiwan mobile phone number to make a health declaration and receive an electronic health declaration receipt. If you do not have a Taiwan mobile phone number, you can make the declaration with your international roaming number before you depart (an overseas station of the airline company). Once you arrive in Taiwan, you need to purchase a SIM card from a Taiwan telecom service provider at the airport and activate it before entering the country.
Q11. For passengers arriving in Taiwan from a third place via connecting flight, which flight number should be entered into the Entry Quarantine System?
A11. According to current regulations, passengers should use their mobile phone to complete the declaration on the Entry Quarantine System before boarding their plane. Therefore, passengers should provide the flight number from the place of departure (not place of transit) on the Entry Quarantine System. For example, if a passenger departs from Paris, France on flight MM99, then transfers in Hong Kong and takes flight KK123 to Taiwan, the passenger should select France for the Country/Region of Departure and provide the flight number of your departure (MM99).
For more information, please click the Taiwan Centers for Disease Control’s Home → COVID-19 Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) → FAQs → Quarantine System for Entry