If Hong Kong residents hold other foreign passport(s), what should they pay attention to when applying for a Gold Card?

  1. Holders of a British National Overseas (BNO) passport, please apply for the Gold Card with your Hong Kong or Macao status * and fill in the Identity Confirmation Letter.
  2. Holders of both Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) passports and other foreign passports (excluding the BNO passport), if you choose to apply as a Hong Kong or Macau citizen, you must give up your other (foreign) citizenship. The certificate of renunciation of foreign nationality verified by foreign embassies shall be attached, and the Chinese translation certified by foreign embassies or domestic notaries shall be attached. Should you choose to apply with your other (foreign) citizenship, you must provide a signed affidavit with your name and date stating that you will only use your foreign passport (not Hong Kong or Macau passport) to enter Taiwan.

* Article 4, Item 1 and Item 2 of the Laws and Regulations Regarding Hong Kong & Macao Affairs states that the term “Hong Kong Residents” refers to persons who qualify for permanent residency in Hong Kong and who do not hold a travel document other than a BNO passport or a Hong Kong passport.