What to do if my Employment Gold Card is damaged or lost overseas?

  1. If the card is damaged overseas: Please contact the Immigration Agency Border Affairs Corps at the airport you are landing to inform them of your arrival time and flight number. This will allow the Immigration Agency to pre-check your identity information and record your situation. Before boarding, airlines will check your valid visa, if your card is damaged, some airlines may contact the Immigration Agency to confirm whether you can board, or you may need to contact them yourself. Both of these options require time, so please arrive at the airport early to avoid missing your flight. Once the airline has confirmed your status, you can board and enter the country with the damaged card. Note: Different flights and terminals have different responsible personnel. Please confirm your arrival date and flight number before contacting the Border Affairs Corps.
  2. If the card is lost overseas: Please refer to the FAQ on What happens if I lose my Gold Card