Hong Kong & Macau Residents


Here is a summary of frequently asked questions regarding the Taiwan Employment Gold Card program, the application process, and other general questions regarding life in Taiwan and more.

Loading filter
No filtered FAQ found

Hong Kong and Macau applicants must download the “Hong Kong or Macau Resident Confirmation Document” and the “Residence Declaration Form for Hong Kong and Macau Residents”. Signatures must be in Chinese. Please refer to the links to download the necessary documents: 香港或澳門居民身分確認書香港澳門居民申請居留定居申報書

Hong Kong and Macau residents can only choose one reason to change their residence status in Taiwan. For relevant regulations and explanations, please refer to the submission instructions for changing the reason for residence on the National Immigration Agency website . Please note that when applying for a change of residence status, the National Immigration Agency will take back the original Resident Certificate but will not invalidate it; the applicant can fill in an explanation to borrow the certificate when needed. If applying from abroad, a copy of the residence certificate must be applied for in order to change the residence.

The National Immigration Agency’s “ Notice for Delivery of Employment Gold Cards for Special Professionals from Foreign Countries or Hong Kong and Macau ” does not require Hong Kong and Macau applicants to provide a Good Citizen Certificate, Letter of Guarantee, Police Record, or Health Check Certificate.

  1. Holders of a British National Overseas (BNO) passport, please apply for the Gold Card with your Hong Kong or Macao status * and fill in the Identity Confirmation Letter.
  2. Holders of both Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) passports and other foreign passports (excluding the BNO passport), if you choose to apply as a Hong Kong or Macau citizen, you must give up your other (foreign) citizenship. The certificate of renunciation of foreign nationality verified by foreign embassies shall be attached, and the Chinese translation certified by foreign embassies or domestic notaries shall be attached. Should you choose to apply with your other (foreign) citizenship, you must provide a signed affidavit with your name and date stating that you will only use your foreign passport (not Hong Kong or Macau passport) to enter Taiwan.

* Article 4, Item 1 and Item 2 of the Laws and Regulations Regarding Hong Kong & Macao Affairs states that the term “Hong Kong Residents” refers to persons who qualify for permanent residency in Hong Kong and who do not hold a travel document other than a BNO passport or a Hong Kong passport.

Hong Kong and Macau applicants who were born in Mainland China must upload one of the following documents:

  1. A certificate of non-household registration in Mainland China verified by the Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF).
  2. Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macau Residents (Home Return Permit)
  3. The notarized certificate of cancellation of Mainland China household registration verified by the SEF.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to expedite application reviews. Also, if you have worked for any Mainland Chinese companies or the government, we suggest that you provide a statement about your previous work and your future plans in Taiwan. After passing the Workforce Development Agency’s qualification check, please expect at least 1-2 months for the National Immigration Agency’s final review.

Dependents (including spouse, underage children, and adult children with physical and mental disabilities) of the Employment Gold Card holder (of foreign nationality or a resident of Hong Kong or Macau) may apply for an entry/exit permit on the National Immigration Agency’s Foreigner’s Online Application System , and then apply for residency at any National Immigration Agency service station after entering the country. As another way to apply, after entering the country and receiving your Employment Gold Card, your dependents in Hong Kong and Macau can apply to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office for residency (the Gold Card holder does not need to return to Hong Kong and Macau). For more information on the required document submissions for residence, please visit HERE .

The amendment regarding permanent residency is for foreign employment gold cardholders, not including Hong Kong or Macau residents.

The application of Hong Kong and Macau residents (Hong Kong & Macau gold cardholders included) for residence and settlement in Taiwan is handled in accordance with Articles 16 and 29 of the “Regulations Governing Permits for Hong Kong and Macao Residents Entering the Taiwan Area and Setting up Residence or Registered Permanent Residence in R.O.C” issued by the National Immigration Agency of the Ministry of the Interior.

If you have any doubts about the settlement, please contact the Taiwan-Hong Kong Economic and Cultural Co-operation Council for more information.

  • Phone Number:(02)2700-3199、(02)2397-1088
  • Fax:(02)2700-3200
  • E-mail:careyou@thec.org.tw
  • Address:3F, No.2, Alley 17, Lane 147, Section 3, Xinyi Road, Da’an District, Taipei City, Taiwan 106
  • Website
  • Required Documents:

    1. An application form, with a white-background 2’’ photo taken within the last 2 years (Same specification as ROC national ID photo).
    2. Original and copy of Hong Kong/Macau permanent residence ID card and Hong Kong/Macau passport (the original will be returned after verification).
    3. Application Fee: NT$600 for a single entry permit; NT$1,000 for a 1-year multiple entry permit; NT$2,000 for a 3-year multiple entry permit.
    4. A registered self-addressed stamped envelope with the recipient’s name and phone number.
    5. Power of Attorney (Not required if Hong Kong/Macau residents apply in person).
    6. Certificate of family relations.
    7. A copy of valid ARC or ROC Employment Gold Card overseas application approval notice issued to the Hong Kong/Macau special professional.
  • How to apply:

    1. In Hong Kong or Macau: Apply to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Offices in Hong Kong or Macau. Second application and beyond may be filed directly to the NIA.
    2. In foreign countries: Apply to ROC (Taiwan) embassies, representative offices, or other agencies authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

In accordance with Article 24 of the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals , the provisions apply mutatis mutandis to residents of Hong Kong and Macau areas. In other words, Hong Kong or Macau residents are also eligible to apply for the tax incentives for foreign special professionals as regulated by Article 20 of the Act.

  1. Mainland Chinese citizens
  2. Individuals with Hong Kong/Macau and Taiwan Dual Citizenship
  3. Individuals who entered Taiwan with an R.O.C. passport
  4. R.O.C. Nationals living in Taiwan with a household registration
  5. R.O.C. Nationals who entered Taiwan with a foreign passport and have not yet applied for Household De-Registration
  6. Men who have not fulfilled their military service obligations or are close to service age who fall under any of the following categories:
  • Does not hold an Overseas Compatriot Identity Certificate for Military Service Purpose
  • Does not hold an R.O.C. passport with the endorsement of the Overseas Chinese residence status
  • Has Overseas Compatriot with Military Service Identity and has lived in Taiwan for one year
  • Is subject to conscription and restrictions to exit according to the Act of Military Service System

Latest articles

November 24th 2023
From Student to Permanent Resident: Lakshay Sachdeva's …

From Student to Permanent Resident: Lakshay Sachdeva’s Remarkable Journey with the Taiwan Gold Card Taiwan, with …

August 10th 2023
AI Is Knocking on the Door: 5 reminders about …

AI Is Knocking on the Door: 5 reminders about ChatGPT-generated Employment Agreement Note: if you are not yet familiar …

June 15th 2023
Taiwan is Asia's Best Kept Secret

Taiwan is Asia’s Best Kept Secret We want to share how you can apply for Taiwan Gold Card through the experiences …

How to apply

Are you convinced that the Taiwan Employment Gold Card will be your personal next step? Amazing - Start with your application now...